Global Studies at Prescott College includes a wide variety of courses and areas of study, including Law & Social Change; Organizing, Activism & Alliance Politics; Religious Ethics & Environmental Activism; The Color Line in U.S. History; Introduction to Power, Place, & Knowledge; Globalization & Religion; Historical Explorations of Latin America; History of Gender & Sexuality; Image & Power in Mass Culture; Latin American Cultural Crossings; Introduction to Peace Studies; Philosophy: Modes of Thinking; Social Problems: Research Methods & Theories; Spanish; The Documentary: Film-making for Fun, Profit, & Justice; World Languages; World Religions; and various Special Topics.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias | Keywords | Article Databases | eJournals | Web Resources | Citation Styles | Statistics | Organizations
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Britannica Encyclopedia of World Religions
- Encyclopedia of the Mexican American Civil Rights Movement
- Encyclopedia of Minorities in American Politics: Volume 1, African Americans and Asian Americans
- Encyclopedia of Minorities in American Politics: Volume 2, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans
- Encyclopedia of Religious Phenomena
- Hutchinson Dictionary of American History
- Latinas in the United States: A Historical Encyclopedia
- Women's Studies Encyclopedia
On the Reference Shelf:
- Encyclopedia of American Studies E169.1.E625 REFERENCE
- Encyclopedia of Religion BL31.E46 REFERENCE
- Encyclopedia of Religion and Nature BL65.N35E53 REFERENCE
Books and journal databases each have their own "controlled vocabulary" - using the appropriate language will give you the most specific search results.
|Gender studies||Social conditions||feminism|
|Women's studies||Border security||Geopolitics|
|Mexican-American border region||Gender studies||National security|
|Cultural differences||Feminism||Women's studies|
- EBSCOhost provides full-text articles in over 4,700 journals, including more than 3,700 peer-reviewed titles. In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for all 8,250 journals in the collection.
- GoogleScholar "enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research. Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web".
- JSTOR is a trusted archive of important scholarly journals. JSTOR is not a current issues database. Because of JSTOR's archival mission, there is a gap, typically from 1 to 5 years, between the most recently published journal issue and the back issues available in JSTOR. Prescott College subscribes to Arts & Sciences Collections I and IV, Biological Sciences Collection, and Language & Literature Collection.
- ProQuest provides several collections, including Research Library (scholarly articles) and Dissertations & Theses. It provides one-stop access to a wide range of popular academic subjects. The database includes more than 3,820 titles—over 2,550 in full text—from 1971 forward.
full text, academic content
- Understanding Prejudice: "[E]ducational resources and information on prejudice, discrimination, multiculturalism, and diversity, with the ultimate goal of reducing the level of intolerance and bias in contemporary society." Sponsored by the National Science Foundation and McGraw-Hill, this website includes interactive tools for you to assess your knowledge and prejudice.
- The World Bank > Gender: "The World Bank Group has been promoting gender equality in development since 1977. Yet today, in many parts of the world, women continue to lack voice and decision-making ability; and their economic opportunities remain very constrained."
- Women's Studies/Women's Issues Resource Sites: "[A] selective, annotated, highly acclaimed listing of web sites containing resources and informationaboutwomen'sstudies / women's issues, with an emphasis on sites of particular use to an academic women's studies program."
These handouts help with basic citation questions, both in-text and in the References/Bibliography section. Consult the Manual(s) for specific guidelines in writing and formatting your paper.
- Chicago: The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition
- APA: The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Style, 6th edition
- American Historical Association
- Amnesty International
- NativeWeb: Resources for Indigenous Cultures around the World.
- Southern Poverty Law Center: While most famous for calling out hate groups, SPLC also has news, publications, and legal information on LGBT rights, immigrant rights, and juvenile detention.
Contact a Librarian!